[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Explicit Message Encryption

Emmanuel Gil Peyrot linkmauve at linkmauve.fr
Wed Aug 17 18:48:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:31:28PM -0500, Sam Whited wrote:
> Having the name be an attribute doesn't seem very friendly to me. What
> if I want it in a different language or locale? How do RTL languages
> work? Even if we assume everything is always English, what if my text
> doesn't work well with all names "an [OTR] encrypted message" works
> fine, but "an [PGP] encrypted message" does not where the bracketed
> word is substituted.
>
> I'd leave off the name attribute entirely; it's not necessary.

The rationale for the presence of this name attribute is to have a
placeholder in case the client doesn’t know anything about the
encryption method in question.

Say in 2017 you are still using a client that has been released in
2016, and a newer XEP got published which provides a much better
encryption method than the existing ones and everyone starts using it,
it might be more user-friendly to communicate the name of said method
to the user than to just have an opaque namespace you can’t say
anything about, even if it isn’t properly localised.