[Standards] XEP-0369 (MIX) - handing of MAM IDs

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Fri Dec 2 09:37:45 UTC 2016

I reviewed MAM IDs with my co-author Kevin Smith.

In a recent message, I noted:

"The key point is that distributed messages use the MAM ID.   This was a key decision from XMPP summit at the start of this year.   Any change to this would need broad discussion.    I think that it is important that these IDs are unique/stable, but this is something for MAM (not MIX) to specify.

The sending client  picks the original ID.  MIX provides a mechanism to enable the sender to correlate the distributed message.   I don’t think there is a reason for MIX to put any particular constraints on this ID."

We believe that it is important that the MIX channel is allowed to change message id,  and so the basic approach of the distributed ID being different will remain.

There are some changes under discussion in MAM which will quite likely lead to MAM IDs being included in payload.   Assuming this work completes, we will include in MIX and update this section appropriately.

Steve