[Standards] References and XHTML-IM interoperability

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Fri Dec 2 15:07:04 UTC 2016

On 2 Dec 2016, at 14:56, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Tobias Markmann
> <tmarkmann at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> One approach would be requiring IDs on the tags you want to reference. This
>> way the reference tag could simple refer to that ID, which naturally would
>> be UUIDs.
>
> I like this; it's simple, easy to implement, and does no more than is
> necessary while still being sufficiently powerful to acomplish the
> task at hand..

I don’t see why the ids need to be UUIDs (indeed, it seems actively undesirable for them to be), but yes, referencing by id, or maybe by anchor seems sensible.

>> Another would be XPath or XPointer to have the reference tag refer to the
>> element from the root of the top-level-stanza.
>
> I don't want to have to pull in another huge dependency to all my
> projects or write something to parse yet another simplified DSL. This
> approach isn't something I'd want to implementl; I'm allergic to
> dependencies.

I think ‘allergic to dependencies’ is ever so close to NiH, but in this case I agree that an XPath/XPointer dependency is probably undesirable. I wouldn’t want to execute network-provided XPath expressions.

/K