[Standards] Unread syncing

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Fri Dec 2 15:34:52 UTC 2016

On 2 Dec 2016, at 15:26, forenjunkie <forenjunkie at chello.at> wrote:
> in a single chat conversation, it makes no sense to query unread messages.

I’m not sure that’s true at all, but putting that to the side for the minute...

> you could just query the last 10 MAM Messages, if no readmarker comes with it, query another 10. such a implementation of MAM would be very weird to me, but you could do it and get only unread messages with it. So this already works without problem with the MAM and 0333 XEP.
> And in single chat its not possible to "miss" a message in between, which you would want to query.

I think you’re missing the details of what I asked - how do you achieve this where there are a sufficient number of messages that just keeping querying until you have every message in your local archive isn’t viable?

> And this is not a theory, XEP-0333 are stored by the server if the client wishes that, and working implementations of MAM and 0333 together you can witness for example in Conversations.

It’s not up to the client whether 333 is stored by the server or not.

> All i see in this proposal is adding complexity to the whole process in introducing another thing the server has to support.

Referring back to my previous question, can you provide an example of how to achieve this case with just 313 and 333 (in protocol)?

/K