[Standards] Unread syncing

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Fri Dec 2 15:57:31 UTC 2016

On 2 Dec 2016, at 15:49, forenjunkie <forenjunkie at chello.at> wrote:

> Its not written down somewhere that its up to the client, but it makes no sense to put a selflimiting hard rule on a archiving XEP like MAM and exclude certain messages per XEP rule.

> We have store hints, the most prominent servers respect these. And it would make no sense to not respect it if a client explicitly wishes for a message to be stored.

Oh, it’d make lots of sense. Server admins can very reasonably want to choose how their archive is populated, rather than having remote clients do so.

> So to make it more clear, if i want to save a message on a current prosody or ejabbered MAM implemenation, i can do this as a client with a store hint.

While that’s nice for you, Prosody and ejabberd are certainly not the whole world ;)

> you dont have to querry the whole archive, you just querry until you get a read marker, then you know everything that comes before that was already read so i dont have to query it.

This is untrue, though. If I have two contacts, it’s quite easy for me to have unread messages for contact A that are hundreds or thousands of messages older than my messages from contact B, all of which are read. If I merely read the archive backwards until I found a read marker, I wouldn’t find the unread messages for contact A.

/K