[Standards] References and XHTML-IM interoperability

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Fri Dec 2 20:51:33 UTC 2016

>>> IMHO this is exactly why 'id' was invented. :-)
>>
>> Indeed. I'm slightly concerned with stream uniqueness guarantees that that implies, though. What if you forward a message to someone else, or happen to request a stanza from your archive twice or whatever?
>>
>> I think we're probably already breaking that with various other cases and stanza ids though, so if we're happy doing it there do we need to worry about it here? (And if no, does mandating uuid make sense?)
>
> Oh, I thought we were talking about identifying fragments within XHTML-IM formatting, which is why I thought 'id' was right. Perhaps I am missing context.

We are, but that shouldn't stop me confusing things!

Tobi mentioned that we should use UUIDs, I thought it wasn't necessary, Tobi pointed out that the ID needs to be unique within an XML document (the XMPP stream), and UUIDs would achieve that for forwards of multiple stanzas and things, I mentioned that we couldn't guarantee that even with UUIDs and that we're already breaking that rule so it probably doesn't matter.

And I very much want it blue ;)

/K