[Standards] References and XHTML-IM interoperability

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 2 22:50:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:

> We are, but that shouldn't stop me confusing things!
>
> Tobi mentioned that we should use UUIDs, I thought it wasn't necessary,
> Tobi pointed out that the ID needs to be unique within an XML document (the
> XMPP stream), and UUIDs would achieve that for forwards of multiple stanzas
> and things, I mentioned that we couldn't guarantee that even with UUIDs and
> that we're already breaking that rule so it probably doesn't matter.
>
> And I very much want it blue ;)

Regarding normal usage in a stream and simple forwarding i don't see an
issue as the chance of conflict is very very small [0].
The chance of receiving the same stanza twice via MAM from the archive
within a stream is not that small i think though. I wonder if we specify
that in the MAM spec that the server basically has to rewrite an IDs in the
message DOM subtree to avoid conflicts.

Or don't we care a about XML conformance anymore in the year 2016? :)

Cheers,
Tobi

[0]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier#Random_UUID_probability_of_duplicates