[Standards] MIX Subject and Room Info Nodes

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Dec 5 15:33:55 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm in the process of reviewing MIX and wanted to ask the communities
opinion about the subject/info nodes.

My initial thought on reading through the spec is that the subject
node (§3.7.7 [1]) should be a part of the info node (§3.7.6 [2]). I
asked Steve about this and he said the idea was that anyone could
potentially chhange the subject while only certain users would have
permission to change the room name / description (in the info node).
So description would be a more "permanent" general description of the
room, and the subject would change with the current conversation.

I know there are (or have been in the past) some popular IRC rooms
that operate this way, but in general I don't think it's a very
popular use case, and I'm not sure it belongs in the core MIX XEP. I
wonder how people would feel about removing the subject node entirely
and just keeping the description field in the info node (which, as far
as I can tell, is how most rooms use the MUC subject anyways). If it
turns out this feature is in high demand after all, it could always be
written up as a separate XEP or added back later.

Best,
Sam

[1]: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0369.html#subject-node
[2]: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0369.html#info-node