[Standards] XEP-0060: Pubsub - Questions and proposals

Jaussoin Timothée edhelas at movim.eu
Sat Dec 17 09:05:57 UTC 2016

On 16/12/2016 03:07, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 12/15/16 12:51 AM, Jaussoin Timothée wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently doing a more complete implementation of Pubsub in Movim
>> (affiliations and access-models management) and I have a couple of
>> questions.
>>
>> 5.4 Discover Node Metadata : I'd like to know if it's also possible to
>> expose pubsub#access_model here. I'd like to display in the UI of Movim
>> this information ("This node is private", "This node is open to
>> everyone"…). Will it bring security problems?
>
> It seems to me that making the access model discoverable will not
> increase the security risk, because an attacker will just try to
> subscribe to a node instead of querying the metadata.

So is it OK if I do a PR on 0060 and add this information in the metadata?

>> 6.5.7 Requesting the Most Recent Items : "When max_items is used,
>> implementations SHOULD return the N most recent (as opposed to the N
>> oldest) items."
>> Here I'd like to know if the items are ordered by their creation date or
>> their last update date.
>> This difference is important to me because I'd like to know if I can
>> rely on this order to display the posts of Movim (which are logically
>> ordered by their creation date for now). If a user is making a small
>> edit months after the publication it will move the post in front of all
>> the others. This question could also apply to XEP-0059: Result Set
>> Management.
>
> We haven't specified the order yet. I'm curious what existing
> implementations do.

 From what I'm seeing on Metronome, it's ordered by "updated" and not by
"published" dates.

The current Pubsub model says that if an item is published with the same
id as an existing one it should replace it. I'd find natural that the
new item should then stay at the same position as the other in the list.
I think that specifying that a server MUST return the items ordered by
"published" dates should solve the issue.

I also saw in the specifications that the server have a
pubsub#notify_sub configuration boolean (Notify owners about new
subscribers and unsubscribes). But nowhere it is specified how those
owners are notified about theses subscriptions. Should we also specify
this in the 0060?