[Standards] XEP-0060: Pubsub - Questions and proposals

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Sat Dec 17 10:08:21 UTC 2016

Le jeudi 15 décembre 2016, 08:51:35 CET Jaussoin Timothée a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently doing a more complete implementation of Pubsub in Movim
> (affiliations and access-models management) and I have a couple of
> questions.
>
> 5.4 Discover Node Metadata : I'd like to know if it's also possible to
> expose pubsub#access_model here. I'd like to display in the UI of Movim
> this information ("This node is private", "This node is open to
> everyone"…). Will it bring security problems?

The owner can get this information using configuration (§8.2), and I'm not
sure if it's a good idea to expose it to everybody (the subscribers or lambda
entities don't need to know the access model, and they can just try to
subscribe).

> 6.5.7 Requesting the Most Recent Items : "When max_items is used,
> implementations SHOULD return the N most recent (as opposed to the N
> oldest) items."
> Here I'd like to know if the items are ordered by their creation date or
> their last update date.

The N most recent (as opposed to the N oldest) seems clear to me : the older
are the ones created first, so it's by creation date.

> This difference is important to me because I'd like to know if I can
> rely on this order to display the posts of Movim (which are logically
> ordered by their creation date for now). If a user is making a small
> edit months after the publication it will move the post in front of all
> the others. This question could also apply to XEP-0059: Result Set
> Management.

For MAM/RSM it's specified in MAM (The archive results MUST be sorted in
chronological order §4.2) which is creation date too. But this could be
changed by a query, I have asked the question at 2016 Fosdem's meeting, and it
was stated that a XEP can change this order if needed.

Goffi