[Standards] Punycode in stream 'to' attr

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Thu Dec 29 13:07:36 UTC 2016

Hi list!

An issue was filed against Prosody¹ for not converting punycode in
stream headers to Unicode.  Now I'm wondering if this is really
something the server is expected to do.

RFC7622 § 3.2.1.² states as following:

> An entity that prepares a string for inclusion in an XMPP domainpart
> slot MUST ensure that the string consists only of Unicode code points
> that are allowed in NR-LDH labels or U-labels as defined in RFC5890.

However, the next section states that:

> An entity that performs enforcement in XMPP domainpart slots MUST
> prepare a string as described in [previous section]

This could possibly be interpreted as that the server should perform
the toUnicode step if the client (or component in this case) does not.

So, I'd like to know what the consensus interpretation of this is.

¹ https://prosody.im/issues/issue/806
² https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7622#section-3.2.1

--
Regards,