[Standards] Punycode in stream 'to' attr

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu Dec 29 15:10:38 UTC 2016

On 29.12.2016 14:07, Kim Alvefur wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> An issue was filed against Prosody¹ for not converting punycode in
> stream headers to Unicode.  Now I'm wondering if this is really
> something the server is expected to do.
>
> So, I'd like to know what the consensus interpretation of this is.

IMHO every XMPP entity putting JIDs on the wire must (usually) prepare
those according to RFC 7622. This includes the transformation of
A-labels to U-lables. I think RFC 7622 3.2.1 is pretty clear about that.

I don't want to require receiving entities to determine if the
domainpart is an A-Label or not. Fewer ambiguity, in terms of allowed
possible representations, is always desirable. Thus the behaviour of
prosody is what I also would do, and the behaviour of the sending entity
should be considered wrong.

- Florian