[Standards] XMPP Registrar: Registration policy

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Dec 29 16:39:54 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I recently proposed a change [1] to the way the XMPP registries work to
require that all registries have a ``registration policy" which would
determine how entries are added to the registry (eg.
first-come-first-server might mean that anyone could simply add an
entry, but spec-required might mean that some normative text that
explains how the registry entry works and what it's for be written
first).

Peter suggested that I bring this to the list, and it does seem worth
discussing, so here it is. Peter's view was that:

> The IETF has been moving toward "First Come, First Served" in most
> cases, and I don't see a compelling reason for the XSF to move in the
> opposite direction by adding more formality to our processes.

In my mind the only real distinction that's necessary is "should entries
in this registry require a normative description, or is this just a
non-normative list that can be safely ignored". However, if the registry
is only intended as a way to make sure your custom namespace, feature,
option, etc. doesn't conflict with other peoples usage (but without
guaranteeing any compatibility if you choose to implement things in the
registry already in use by other people), then I agree with Peter, it's
easier just to keep it first-come-first-served.

Thoughts?

—Sam

[1]: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/318

--