[Standards] XEP-0313: why it is *really* not a good idea to use MAM with Pubsub

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Thu Feb 4 15:23:51 UTC 2016

Le mercredi 3 février 2016, 10:47:45 Stephen Paul Weber a écrit :
> > But I have to say that MAM is really badly adapted to PubSub
>
> I'm curious why one would *want* to use MAM with PubSub, since PubSub
> already specifies a way of storing and fetching items?

For the filtering capabilities (i.e. searching in a pubsub node). In SàT we use
it to look for items corresponding to an atom category.

Actually we have talked about that in the summit, and MAM could do it because:

- the MUST in  "The archive results MUST be sorted in chronological
order" can be changed if an other XEP says so

- other XEPs could probably change the search on several nodes or this kind of
points I have raised.

I'm still concerned about the overhead with putting everything is message,
even if the stanza size issue raised by Kev is a good point. But this is maybe
fixable also with an additional XEP.

++
Goffi