[Standards] Multi-stage registrations

Peter Waher peterwaher at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:53:28 UTC 2016

Hello Stephen

Correct, it's live updating of the form based on user input. This is what you're saying, i.e. user submits one form and then another.
This is called post-back in XEP-0336. So, when a field that is marked for post-back has been edited, the form is sent back, and a new is
returned, exactly what you wanted.

If you explicitly want a button to press, then I think the easiest way it to define a button field type. As with any field type, the button could
be marked with a post-back flag, signalling the client that if the button is pressed, the form is returned. XEP-0336 then describes how the
new form is joined with the old. It can be an entirely new form.

Additional benefits of using XEP-0336, apart from post-back, which allows for a richer user experience and customized server-side validation of fields, is better error information per field, giving better feedback to the user why the value of a field is invalid, allowing enabling anddisabling of fields and flagging fields to be "unknown" or "undefined", as is the case when editing multiple objects at the same time, having different field values.

Best regards,
Peter Waher