[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: References

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Feb 15 14:03:00 UTC 2016

Non-blocking comments:

1) I think the begin/end bits probably need to be pulled out into a
different child element. Then you can have something like:

<bodytext begin=... end='...' xml:lang='cy'/>

... which would disambiguate multi-lingual messages (though this is
something of an edge-case).

We could also have other elements to indicate matches within other data.

2) The "type" here is given as a plain string; I think it might want to be
a URI - or possibly it might want to be a Link Relation Type:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml

It may want to stay as a plain string, though - it just feels like there's
avenues to explore.

3) I'm mildly concerned that §3.4 radically alters the meaning of the
<reference/> element. It seems to me that "This message refers to X" is
different to "That message refers to X" at a fairly fundamental level; the
former being metadata whereas the latter is the data itself for the stanza
in which they are present. This is merely a mild concern and I'm possibly
jumping at shadows, but the addition of a single attribute does seem to
radically alter the sense of the element itself. Would notifications of
mentions also use this syntax, by the way?

4) As noted in Council, I'd like to see a reference to the Twitter API upon
which this is largely based.