[Standards] XEP-0357: Push Notifications is missing business rules section

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 16 13:33:06 UTC 2016

* Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> [2016-02-16 13:32]:
> However the XEP is missing some important business rules on *when* to send
> push notifications. It only describes the how. I think this should be
> clarified for the sake of consistency across multiple clients and multiple
> servers.

+1

The rules you suggest sound good to me (for IM clients).

> for (a) it is no required to keep the session open for much longer than
> regular.

Except that the server shouldn't simply close the session n minutes
after the TCP connection was closed (as it does for "regular" clients),
but only if the push client didn't resume the session within n minutes
after a notification was sent.  That is, if no stanzas are received, the
session isn't closed.

Holger