[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: References

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Feb 24 11:57:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

> I would like to see this XEP support more or less arbitrary attributes
> like content-type, content-length as well as resolution (x,y) for images
> and videos as well as runtime for audio that can be used when referencing
> files on HTTP hosts.
>
> The twitter API on which this is based on does this as well.
>
> Is this something that could be included in this XEP? And maybe have the
> XEP include a list of some standard attributes and their meaning.
>
> I've been planing to provide a way to annotate HTTP file links and I think
> it would be great to implement this in the same XEP. (HTTP Upload and link
> sharing is already seeing wide adoption (Conversations, gajim, monal,
> xabber))

I still have the requirment that i need to 'annote' (or 'reference' if you
will) data like URLs in the body tag with information like content-type,
content-lenght and so on.

If you don't want this in the references XEP I'm fine with this and I'm
gonna create my own. However I believe this would mix quit well especially
since twitter does the same thing.

Having arbitrary (XML) attributes is probably a problem schema wise. So a
slightly modified version of my earlier proposal would be to have a data
form child of the reference element and a (growing) list of well known
fields.

Kev: Is this something you'd be willing to include in your XEP? If you like
I'd even add it myself and create a PR. If not can I get a 'No' so I can
create my own XEP to fullfill this need?

cheers
Daniel