[Standards] MUC: Opt-out of presence broadcasting

Sam Whited swhited at atlassian.com
Mon Feb 29 20:59:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> On 29 February 2016 at 17:30, Fabian Beutel <fabian.beutel at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I think the MUC XEP (xep-0045) would benefit greatly from giving users
>> the option to opt-out of the presence broadcasting of other users.
>>

> I'd rather put effort into MIX rather than band-aids on '45.

With my work hat on:

As much as I'd love to say that we (HipChat) will be on MIX "soon", I
very much doubt that it's something we'll be able to do in the short
term, and even if we implemented it tomorrow we would need to support
MUC for a long time yet. While MIX solves these issues, I'd like to
see them solved for MUC too. We currently implement our own solution
for this, but I'd much rather have a solution that third party clients
that don't support our custom XEP's can implement. For us presence
flooding is a major problem as we have some customers with MUC rooms
that have 10s of thousands of participants, but we don't actually need
to know if the majority of those are online at any given time.

With my work hat off:

I agree with Dave, let's focus on MIX.

Best,
Sam