[Standards] Service discovery for XMPP clients

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Jan 8 16:14:39 UTC 2016

On 1/8/16 6:56 AM, Emil Romascanu wrote:
> "XMPP: The Definitive Guide" (ISBN: 978-0-596-52126-4), paragraph: Using
> Service Discovery with Clients, page 64: "there are two tools at your
> disposal: explicit service discovery of the kind we've already
> discussed, and a kind of service discovery short hand ...".

We didn't include every possible example in the book. That's what the
specs are for. :-)

> The example given for the explicit discovery refers only to info
> discovery, but has no illustration for items discovery. Probably an XMPP
> client may have associated entities, and if so, the <item/> elements of
> those entities are discoverable by explicit service discovery. Could
> someone give an example of discovering items associated with entities
> existing in an XMPP client?

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0030.html#items

However, typically clients don't have associated items - that's used
more for server-side components like chatroom servers and pubsub nodes:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#disco-rooms

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#entity-discoveritems