[Standards] Chat Markers vs. Delivery receipts

Daniele Ricci daniele.athome at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 22:00:42 UTC 2016

Hello,
I'm implementing read notification (as in "displayed"), and I'm
wondering whether to use chat markers. Up to now I've been using
delivery receipts for, well, delivery notification. Now I'd like to
move one step further and support displayed notification too.

My question is: considering that my server stores delivery receipts
too, what is the real advantage of chat markers over delivery
receipts, besides supporting two more states (displayed, acked)? Am I
missing something from the XEP?
Also, I was surprised when I read "Chat Markers MAY be used alongside
Delivery Receipts", since they actually overlap, right?

Thanks
--
Daniele