[Standards] Chat Markers vs. Delivery receipts

Daniele Ricci daniele.athome at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 22:10:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:
> Chat markers and delivery receipts are orthogonal concepts. Chat
> markers are meant for determining if a client has viewed the current
> chat (or performed some action, eg. composing a message), while
> delivery receipts only show that a message has been delivered to your
> contacts client (and don't make any guarantees that they've actually
> seen the message).

Do you mean that a delivery receipt is the same as a "received" chat
marker sent for every message? Have I got this right?

> To illustrate, imagine you send a message that gets lost (but no error
> is returned) and is never delivered to your contact. Then they bring
> their conversation with you to the foreground and start composing a
> message. If you're only using chat markers, it will appear as if your
> contact has read your last message, but in reality it was never
> delivered to them.

Ok, so to best optimize the use of chat markers (and to save
bandwidth), I would have to wait a little bit for a batch of messages
to arrive and then send out a displayed notification for all of them
(assuming the user has displayed all of those at a time).
However, delivery receipts are still sent sequentially as soon as
messages arrive.

If I got this "batching" optimization right, can't I just use a chat
marker "received" notification for *every* message instead of a
delivery receipt? I could even use "displayed" notification as a bonus
(that is, it is implied that if you display a message you must have
received it, this way I send just one marker instead of two).

Best
--
Daniele