[Standards] MIX progress

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Tue Jul 5 08:51:01 UTC 2016

On 05.07.2016 10:08, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:55:53 +0200
> Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
>
>> I'd also welcome if XEP development, especially for such an important
>> one like MIX, would be more open.
>
> For the record, we already have github XSF repo for that. We can keep
> development there and tag stable version.

So far, the XSF repo is *only* used for submitted XEPs, everything in
inbox/ is a ProtoXEPs and XEPs with numbers follow the standards track.
Changes are only made by the XSF Editor Team. It is not used for active
development of those XEPs, and I think it should be that way.

A while ago I suggested establishing an extra repo for incubating XEPs
and updates to existing XEPs in xsf at . My vision was to make write access
to that repo easily possible, to have it build via CI, and to publish it
somewhere (e.g. xmpp.org/lab), with the hope that this will encourage
collaboration, improve the quality of ProtoXEPs and kickstart
experimental implementations. This idea was not received well for some
reasons I frankly do not understand. We clearly need a place like that.
XEP development behind closed doors is not desirable.

- Florian