[Standards] How many delay elements?

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 13 19:04:11 UTC 2016

This came up before, but I fail to find a clarification.

XEP-0203 says:

| Information about the delivery delay is communicated by adding to the
| [...].  This information is added by the server or component that
| delivers the stanza.

Does this mean that

1. a given stanza should never contain more than a single direct <delay/>
   child element, or that
2. a given server or component should never add more than a single
   direct <delay/> child element to a given stanza, or that
3. no more than a single direct <delay/> child element should be added
   to a given stanza for a given delay cause?

For example, if a groupchat message delivery is delayed because the
sending client was offline when it was written, and then because the MUC
service sends it as part of the discussion history, and then because
it's queued by CSI¹, and then because it's queued by stream manegement;
how many <delay/> elements should the stanza end up with?

Holger

¹ Queueing groupchat messages might be weird, but XEP-0352 permits the
  server to do weird things, AFAIK.