[Standards] [Council] 2016-07-20 Council Meeting

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 27 10:33:39 UTC 2016

* Tobias Markmann <tmarkmann at googlemail.com> [2016-07-27 10:28]:
> > ### XEP-0045: Define option name for enabling/disabling MAM
> >
> > https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/204
> >
> > - Dave wonders if this could be an update to XEP-0313 instead of XEP-0045.
> > - Tobias wonders if this needs to be its own option or if `enablelogging`
> > covers
> >     the same use cases
> >   - Discussion: http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2016-07-20#15:22:05
> > - All to vote on list.
>
> -1. After the followup discussion with Holger I agree that there might be
> use in such an option. Although I'd rather we'd name it technology
> independent and more concept focused, like roomconfig_enablearchiving. The
> descriptive text could provide MAM as example of this. Furthermore there
> should be a some small text describing the differences in this new option
> and the roomconfig_enablelogging option.

The advantage I see in referring to MAM specifically is that access to
the archive is clearly defined in XEP-0313.  If a client enables MUC MAM
in a private room, the standard should guarantee that this won't expose
the archive to non-members.  If this assumption seems safe also for a
generic "archiving" option, I'm fine with that.

So what's the way forward?  Shall I provide an updated PR against
XEP-0045, or against XEP-0313, or something else (e.g., others suggested
putting all XEP-0045 configuration options into a separate registrar's
list)?

Holger