[Standards] Let's put "Instant Stream Resumption" back on Council's table

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Sun Jun 5 17:52:40 UTC 2016

My dear members of the XMPP Council, Hi everyone else :)

I would like to put the "Instant Stream Resumption (ISR)" XEP proposal
back on Council's table. If I'm not mistaken, all Council members said
to vote on list [1] in the meeting (2016-03-16) after I've re-submitted
a overworked version of ISR, but none did so far.

I'm aware that Dave suggested [2] to fit this into an eventually
upcoming Multi-Step-Mechanism SASL approach [3], but this is all in the
very early stages. I did not see much traction after [3] and I don't
foresee an first draft of such a specification in the near future. But
on the other hand, we need ISR now[5]! I told people at FOSDEM 2015 that
this is one major show stopper left for XMPP on mobile, and a similar
approach to ISR came out of the industry [4]. So there is an urgent
requirement for it.

I also do think that potential SASL changes can and should *not* be
considered a blocker for ISR. There sure will be an upgrade path on
protocol level if Multi-Step-Mechanism SASL becomes a thing.

I hope the XMPP Council also sees the need for ISR. I believe to have
addressed all security concerns, e.g., ISR offers mutual authentication
of the endpoints, and it does not replace SASL and therefore does not
weaken SASL security in any way. So I hereby ask all Council members to
submit the pending votes.

Of course I hope for +1's. Please ask if there is anything left unclear.

Thanks.

- Florian

1: http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/council/2016-March/004091.html
2: http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-March/030958.html
3: http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-May/031047.html
4: http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-February/030898.html
5: Besides: I'm not convinced (yet) that ISR should be designed like a
SASL mechanism.