[Standards] Proto-XEP: Pre-Authenticated Roster Subscription

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Fri Jun 10 16:29:29 UTC 2016

Hello,

thanks very much for the feedback on my Easy XMPP suggestions. It looks
like there are really many possibilities to optimize the initial
onboarding, so for now I'd like to focus on the easier roster
invitations. I think they can be implemented in a straight-forward way
and provide an immediate benefit to users, so I wrote a proto-XEP.

Please review the proto-XEP at https://op-co.de/tmp/xep-pars.xml
(PARS = Pre-Authenticated Roster Subscription)

The current proposal is a client-only solution that has a bit of
discussion for server-support. I think the client overhead is manageable
and this allows to roll out support almost overnight.

The principal approach can also be adopted as a more-robust server-side
solution, but that wouldn't change the wire format introduced here while
requiring additional signalling between the client and its server.
Therefore I would like to postpone this idea.

Kind regards,

Georg

P.S: I'm not sure if the screen representation block is at all
appropriate, and whether there is a better suited XML element than
'blockquote'.