[Standards] Stalled Pull Requests waiting on XEP authors

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Sun Mar 13 12:20:31 UTC 2016

It has been 6 months since the GitHub Pull Requests #97, #84, #82, and
#41 have been issued on XSF's 'xeps' repo.

- #41 has been approved by Council, which was noted 2 months ago by Lance.
- #82 is waiting on the XEP author for incorporation.
- #84 has found positive feedback in the community and I believe was
also approved by council, so it's also waiting for the XEP author.
- #97 is a trivial change and waiting for the author.

And this are just some examples of the pending PRs. I don't want to
blame anyone for not working actively in his spare time and unpaid on an
open standard. That's not the point.

But I want to point out that the current situation is demotivating for
current contributors and possibly scares away future contributors.

I'm not sure whether it's the job of the council or the board to decide
about feasible solutions on how this situation can be improved. And I
don't think it's only the task of the people in those two bodies. But
ultimately they are the only ones who are able to implement and take
care of solutions.

And to be honest I believe there is no real solution. If we where for
example to implement a timeout after which the responsibility of an XEP
is handed over the council, then this would only put more workload on
the council, which I don't think it is able to handle.

I can only encourage the authors which have pending PRs for their XEPs
to take care of them in a timely manner. And I like to encourage the
other bodies, mostly council and the editors to watch for stalled matters.

There are so many great people who work for free in their spare time on
XMPP and believe in the idea of XMPP. It can only work if we work together.

- Florian