[Standards] Stalled Pull Requests waiting on XEP authors

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Sun Mar 13 18:47:46 UTC 2016

On 13.03.2016 18:08, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
>> It has been 6 months since the GitHub Pull Requests #97, #84, #82, and
>> #41 have been issued on XSF's 'xeps' repo.
>> XMPP and believe in the idea of XMPP. It can only work if we work together.
>
> Does that mean you volunteer as official issue tracker? :)
>
> On a serious note, this is something tooling can help with.

Theoretically we have already tooling in place. I believe the XSF's
infrastructure and they deployed "processes" have serious issues which
prevent people from participating, causing such issues.

If it where me, I would say the XSF should go with gitlab, discourse and
eventually an open source ticket system and jenkins. Gitlab and
discourse can be easily self hosted or are free for non-profit
organizations. But I'm already hearing people say that no one will
maintain it. I would volunteer, and I guess other would too, but only if
this means that it would be used and our effort would not be a waste of
time.

I also predict voices which will say that the tools won't solve the
issue. Let me tell you how it was at Ignite Realtime: Back in 2012 I
suggested to move from SVN to git, saying it will likely cause an
increase in contributions. Everybody of the elders was against it (ask
Guus). In 2014 I've switched the Ignite Realtime source repos to git,
and we now have more contributors: The tools, and especially how you use
them makes a difference.

An example in the case of the XSF: I say we should get rid of mailman
and switch to discourse. I'm sick of searching forever for the valuable
information which is hold in the mailing lists archives. Discourse does
provide the same features of mailman, i.e. one can use it exactly like a
mailing list, but also provides a modern web interface which is very
usable on mobile devices. Discourse also provides a good search
interface and a sane view, i.e. does not combine the threads by
year/month per default. Plus there a dozen other nice things.

- Florian