[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: References

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Mon Mar 21 14:06:48 UTC 2016

> On 21 Mar 2016, at 11:48, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
>
> An update to the 'arbitrary attributes' feature request. Even more important than the before mentioned content-type, content-length and so forth are probably description and a thumbnail. Information which can be extracted for example by the means of open graph [1] meta tags from a lot of websites.
>
> This would allow for a proper link preview like slack, skype and so forth are doing.
>
> Kev: When questioning this. Is your concern that you don't want the attributes to be completely arbitrary? Do you want them to be well-defined? (Having a set list of like content-type, description, thumbnail, content-length and so forth?) Or would you rather not have attributes like this in this XEP at all?

It’s a concern with the attributes being completely arbitrary (how does one know which they need to support? discovery starts being a bit of a nuisance). Non-abritrary data form elements could be reasonable - there’s still a discoverability question, but it might be ok. Would you like to propose something? I’ve not had the cycles since the summit to take much more of a look at References.

/K