[Standards] IBB fallback in SI file transfer

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Mon May 2 08:53:23 UTC 2016

The IBB fallback is not clearly defined in SI. As there is Jingle now which
define it in a clear way, it's just a matter of time to see SI being deprecated
and Jingle pushed more forward.

The current issue blocking the move, is that Jingle File Transfert is still in
experimental state, and evolving (we still lack an URI scheme for instance).

In our client we have implemented SI with both S5B and IBB to be compatible
with older clients, but we have no fallback mechanism there, and use jingle
when available.

So in my opinion, we should not try to fix SI fallback and deprecate it as soon
as Jingle File Transfert is a draft standard.

++
Goffi