[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: XMPP Compliance Suites 2016

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Fri May 13 03:40:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Thijs Alkemade <me at thijsalkema.de> wrote:
> I don't really understand the point of CSI being required for Advanced Client.
> Do non-mobile clients have to implement it and never send <inactive/>? Or do
> servers have to disable all optimizations because enabling CSI is no longer an
> implicit "I'm a mobile client with my screen off"?

I just realized that I never responded to this, but I agree with
everything Matthew said.

In my mind, CSI is just a mechanism for the client to inform the
server that it is "inactive" (whatever that means). It's up to the
server to make sure that any resulting behavior is consistant with
user expectations and follows the "principle of least suprise" where
possible. In a much more general sense, it's important for clients to
remain as close to a "dumb" presentation layer as possible: important
logic and optimizations are the purview of the server, but it can only
make intelligent decisions with feedback from the clients (eg. CSI).

Best,
Sam

--
Sam Whited