[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: XMPP Compliance Suites 2016

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Fri May 13 14:16:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

orthogonal to the current discussion of whats actually included in the
compliance suite I have some other thoughts.

XMPP has a huge image problem mainly because people are using either
outdated servers and clients or offer incomplete APIs. (I'm not trying to
point fingers; but lets say you run a popular IRC-like webchat and want to
offer an XMPP bridge into it.)
Creating a compliance suite is a very nice guideline for developers but is
completely worthless from a marketing standpoint. I can't tell people their
experience is bad because their server doesn't implement the 2016 advanced
IM server profile. What if we (The XSF) create a "Gold Standard" label that
can be given to servers and clients that implement the advanced IM profile?
That label could be granted only for a defined period (either a year or
until the next compliance suite comes out)

The label should be only for IM profiles to make recognition easier. (IM is
arguable the most popular (or at least most consumer facing) use case for
XMPP and people who use XMPP for something else probably don't care about
badges)

Of course there needs to be some kind of procedure by which the XSF can
award this badge and there should be mechanisms (copyrights?) in place that
prevent clients and servers from abusing the badge.

cheers
Daniel