[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: XMPP Compliance Suites 2016

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri May 13 16:05:34 UTC 2016

On 13 May 2016 at 15:16, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> orthogonal to the current discussion of whats actually included in the
> compliance suite I have some other thoughts.
>
> XMPP has a huge image problem mainly because people are using either
> outdated servers and clients or offer incomplete APIs. (I'm not trying to
> point fingers; but lets say you run a popular IRC-like webchat and want to
> offer an XMPP bridge into it.)
> Creating a compliance suite is a very nice guideline for developers but is
> completely worthless from a marketing standpoint. I can't tell people their
> experience is bad because their server doesn't implement the 2016 advanced
> IM server profile. What if we (The XSF) create a "Gold Standard" label that
> can be given to servers and clients that implement the advanced IM profile?
> That label could be granted only for a defined period (either a year or
> until the next compliance suite comes out)
>
> The label should be only for IM profiles to make recognition easier. (IM
> is arguable the most popular (or at least most consumer facing) use case
> for XMPP and people who use XMPP for something else probably don't care
> about badges)
>
> Of course there needs to be some kind of procedure by which the XSF can
> award this badge and there should be mechanisms (copyrights?) in place that
> prevent clients and servers from abusing the badge.

I'd love to do this. I think it needs to be a trademark rather than a
copyright, but yes. A trademarkable phrase and logo seems simplest.

There's a problem inherent in this that we'd need to actually verify the
clients have actually implemented the features they claim, and that in turn
means some volunteer effort in testing them though. I believe that any
effort we put into this would be repaid hugely, though.