[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Spam Reporting

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 14:04:45 UTC 2016

On 22 May 2016 at 06:44, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sat, 21 May 2016 23:44:44 +0000 (UTC)
> XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
>
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Spam Reporting
>>
>> Abstract:
>>     This document specifies a mechanism by which users can report
>> spam and other abuse to a server operator or other spam service.

> Same as XEP-0287?

Not the same. We actually did look at that XEP though. It's a good
XEP, and I particularly like the key mechanism for trusted reporting.
But it's focused on automated filtering and such - this new protoXEP
is not at all.

It grew from the idea that, from the user perspective, they just want
to block the JID that is annoying them. So clients will present the
normal block mechanism. This proposal extends XEP-0191 (blocking
command) with an element that allows the user to indicate that they
are blocking a JID because of spam.

That is all. It means there is no need for clients to implement
something new - if they don't, the spammer still gets blocked as
normal. But including the spam report element will allow the server to
take whatever action it deems necessary.

And this server action is not defined here - it could provide the
report as feedback to a filtering service, such as that described in
XEP-0287.

Regards,
Matthew