[Standards] A MIX Tape of suggestions.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon May 23 11:28:11 UTC 2016

1) Disco MIX

The service responds with an identity of conference/text, whereas the
channels respond with conference/mix.

2) Creation

There's no way to create a room. Given the complexities of room locking in
'45, I'd like to have an explicit create, and I have a reasonably strong
preference (not absolute) to having this directed to the service rather
than a non-existent channel. ("Channel Create Thyself" does not appeal).

What about:

<iq to='mix.cridland.im' type='set'>
  <create channel='some-room-here at mix.cridland.im' xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:0'>
    <optional-configuration-form/>
  </create>
</iq>

I'd like the channel attribute to be optional, and the result to be a
create element with all the optional bits filled in. (ie, include the
channel name and form).

The channel address being optional allows for a straightforward use-case
for creating an ad-hoc multiparty conversation; an absent configuration
form should be treated by the service as "make up some settings suited to
an ad-hoc multiparty conversation".

3) Joining

Our join currently has no options; these are, I think, required for
pseudonymity for example. A data form probably works here.

4) Traditional Stanzas

I'd really like to avoid the overhead of '60 syntax where this makes sense.
In particular, §5.1.4 isn't really going to work unless presence is used
more traditionally; but I think it makes sense to use message stanzas for
messages anyway.

This also implies that MAM access to the bare jid with no node specified
might access messages "normally".