[Standards] A MIX Tape of suggestions.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon May 23 12:14:10 UTC 2016

On 23 May 2016 at 13:09, Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> wrote:

> On 23-05-16 13:28, Dave Cridland wrote:
>
>> 2) Creation
>>
>> There's no way to create a room. Given the complexities of room locking
>> in '45, I'd like to have an explicit create, and I have a reasonably
>> strong preference (not absolute) to having this directed to the service
>> rather than a non-existent channel. ("Channel Create Thyself" does not
>> appeal).
>>

> I like the guideline “explicit is better than implicit” [1], so fully
> agreed here.
>
> What about:
>>
>> <iq to='mix.cridland.im <http://mix.cridland.im>' type='set'>
>>    <create channel='some-room-here at mix.cridland.im
>> <mailto:some-room-here at mix.cridland.im>' xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:0'>
>>      <optional-configuration-form/>
>>    </create>
>> </iq>
>>
>> I'd like the channel attribute to be optional, and the result to be a
>> create element with all the optional bits filled in. (ie, include the
>> channel name and form).
>>
>> The channel address being optional allows for a straightforward use-case
>> for creating an ad-hoc multiparty conversation; an absent configuration
>> form should be treated by the service as "make up some settings suited
>> to an ad-hoc multiparty conversation".
>>

> I assume that the server will send back the address of ad-hoc rooms in the
> response to this request (much like pubsub node creation), right?

Right, you get back the channel attribute in the response.

> Also, I wonder if the attribute should indeed have the whole JID here, or
> just the localpart. Also, can a server change the localpart before creating
> the room?

I think a complete bare JID makes sense here - it's much easier in server
code just to verify the domain matches, than have an incomplete JID.

I don't think it's a good idea to change the localpart - on a conflict, I
think we want to know it's a conflict.