[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0376 (Pubsub Account Management)

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Mon May 23 20:01:49 UTC 2016

Hi!

 > Servers need to subscribe to remote PEP services explicitly those
nodes which are of interest. Interest needs to be detirmined by the
client issuing a request; but this implies that servers would gradually
acrue any node type which the user has had a capable client at any time

Can we remove the subscription once client goes offline?

 > PEP should work the same way as now - users see filtered
notifications about the things they care about.

Another issue is that types of events that will be delivered
(publish/retract/etc) are determined by node configuration which is not
fair enough because it's rather client's responsibility too: some
clients won't reflect retracts in their UI and some other will. From the
other side, node owner may mess this up by switching retracts off entirely.

 > Clients filter subscriptions using a specific stanza (iq, probably)

Using presence would reduce RTTs? It would require from server to remove
those filtering from presence before broadcast it though..

 > We probably want to say that events are now archived by MAM, but this
may imply that clients need to filter out such events (or explicitly
include them). Maybe the mask above affects MAM queries?

We have to query MAM explicitly for the items we might have skipped
anyway, so we can actually include the nodes of interest in the mam
request's form. While it duplicates traffic, it retains some flexibility
as I can be interested in history of nodes other than my filtering settings?

Thanks.

On 20/05/2016 16:13, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.1.0 of XEP-0376 (Pubsub Account Management) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This specification describes a new model for handling remote pubsub services and a protocol for doing so.
>
> Changelog: Initial version approved by the Council. (XEP Editor: ssw)
>
> Diff: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0376.html

With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,