[Standards] Signal protocol for end-to-end encryption

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Mon Sep 5 08:46:15 UTC 2016

Le lundi 5 septembre 2016, 10:12:24 CEST Peter Waher a écrit :
> Hello
>
> Does anybody on this list have experience using the Signal protocol
> (previously axolotl protocol), from Open Whisper Systems, together with
> XMPP for end-to-end encryption? As there’s work being done on this list
> concerning end-to-end encryption (OpenPGP & OTR), it might be of interest
> to have an alternative for those that want to use Signal as well. It’s
> currently being tested by both Facebook and WhatsApp, and is recommended by
> several notable people.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Waher

Hi Peter,

There is work done on OMEMO by Conversations team, which is XMPP version of
axolotl. There has been a protoXEP, but it has not yet official number because
it's currently depending on copyleft library (if I'm not mistaken). Daniel
Gultsh from Conversations has recently announced that OMEMO has been audited.

Gajim has also an implementation, for now it's the 2 only ones (to my
knowledge), but other clients are planing to do implementation.

Goffi