[Standards] PAM Source Selection

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Sep 7 09:07:36 UTC 2016

In the xsf@ chatroom, Georg Lukas, Ralph Meijer, Kevin Smith, and I had a
quick discussion on how clients might interact with PAM in order to select
and filter based on information type and source.

A suggestion that morphed from this discussion (mostly from Georg and Kev)
looks roughly like the following, applied through a lens of my own creation:

1) During connect, a PAM-aware client will send an IQ containing a "caps
like" hash:

It can do this before presence; PAM will not send anything to unavailable
clients (perhaps).

2) If PAM doesn't recognise the hash, it can request it:

<iq type='result' id='pam2'>
  <select hash='some hash'>
    <mix jid='some mix channel'><!-- Specific MIX channel -->
      <node>urn:xmpp:mix:...</node>
      <node>etc</node>
    </mix>
   <any-mix><!-- Default MIX -->
     <node>...</node>
  </any-mix>
  <any-pep><!-- Default PEP - what +notify does now -->
    <node>...</node>
  </any-pep>
</select>
</iq>

3) PAM then does The Right Thing.

* PAM will have to inject +notify into caps? (Maybe?)
* PAM will filter out notifications.
* PAM adjusts subscriptions?

If this seems right, I'll write this up formally into the XEP and go from
there.

Dave.