[Standards] Questions regarding XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload

vaibhav singh vaibhavsinghacads at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:05:14 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I was reading up on  XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload and am not able to make
sense of some things referenced in the XEP.

1.) Is the PUT URL being sent to the Receiver the final PUT URL to be used
for uploading the file, or can it be modified by the Receiver, which can
then construct the final GET URL, the URL where the file is located?
This question crept up because I could not see any way of using file upload
services like Google Drive or Dropbox, essentially services which require
some kind of access control.

2.) If the PUT URL cannot be modified by the Receiver, what do you suggest
can be done to use services with access control? With whom should the
burden of access control lie in this case?

3) If the XEP can be used only for non-access controlled HTTP servers, how
is it any different from say, using XEP-215 (External Service Disovery) and
getting access to the HTTP servers that way?

4) I saw somewhere that Conversations client has already implemented the
XEP. Are they using non-access controlled HTTP or WebDAV servers to upload
the files?

I really feel that the XEP could be expanded to include services which
require access control, but am not sure how to proceed with it. any help
would be really appreciated.

--

Regards,
Vaibhav Singh