[Standards] XEP-0308: Last Message Correction and Carbons

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Sep 30 16:25:23 UTC 2016

On 30 September 2016 at 17:12, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:

>>> Possibly true, yes. It doesn’t resolve the MUC issue, but maybe it does everything else. We should probably explicitly call out in carbons and MAM the importance of preserving the id in the header.
>>
>> The MUC reflection-detection issue? I *think* that's the only use-case
>> after however many years.
>>
>> We could mark just the reflected stanza, couldn't we?
>
> You mean add an element into the outgoing MUC message saying original-id-was X? Seems that would work.

I was thinking simply <this-is-your-reflection-message
xmlns='urn:xmpp:reflection'/> actually. Could include the original
stanza id, but I can't think of a use-case.

I suppose '308 might prefer if the original id were there in the
broadcast message in case you want to correct a message before you've
even seen the reflected copy, though.