[Standards] XEP-0234: Add option to request hash of offered file.

Paul Schaub vanitasvitae at riseup.net
Tue Aug 15 16:14:54 UTC 2017

Hi!

While I played around with XMPP to create a file sync application for
demonstration purposes (for GSoC) [1,2], I figured that it would be nice
to have a way to explicitly request the hash of an offered file.

XEP-0234 states, that the checksum of a file MIGHT be sent inside the
session-initiate, otherwise it can be send later. As it might be
inefficient for weaker computers (like embedded systems), to read the
whole file they want to send in order to calculate the checksum prior to
the beginning of the transmission, this makes perfectly sense.

However in my use-case I'd like to be able to request the hash of a file
before sending a session-accept, so that I can decide based on filename,
size and hash, whether I want to accept the file or not (the latter in
case I already have the file).

Do you think it might be a good idea to add a session-info element which
can be used to specifically request the checksum of a file?

Greetings vv

[1]: https://blogs.fsfe.org/vanitasvitae/2017/08/14/149/
[2]: https://github.com/vanitasvitae/xmpp_sync