[Standards] RFC: Make projects publish a DOAP file to get listed at xmpp.org

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Mon Aug 21 06:12:06 UTC 2017

Hi,

Great work, I’ve been looking forward for that for quite some time now.

On Montag, 21. August 2017 05:08:32 CEST Emmanuel Gil Peyrot wrote:
> Please tell me whether you think it is a good idea, whether you would
> integrate it with your website/wiki/feature matrix/other, and any
> improvement you could think of!

What came into my mind is that the <license/> tag should have some kind of
machine-readable identifier for licenses which are generally recognized. There
are projects out there which have machine-readable identifiers. The Debian
project has some short names for licenses for their copyright file format [1],
but unfortunately it lacks versioning of the licenses.

Another thing I’m concerned about is the comparison of version numbers. Is it
assumed that the order of <release/> tags matters? In that case, everything is
fine. Otherwise, I imagine that interpreting the <{…xmpp-software}extension/>
elements would not be trivial (it is unclear to a parser whether a version is
greater than another version).

(Disclaimer: haven’t looked at your python script yet ☺)

kind regards,
Jonas

   [1]: https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
#license-short-name