[Standards] SASL2 Update incoming

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 17:53:43 UTC 2017

Fri, 25 Aug 2017 12:29:55 -0500
Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> Then it's an even worse UX when auth fails and users think their
> messages have been sent (or they fail to send anyways)

Which happens like 1 times out of thousands. I think it's better to
act optimistically. I also tend to think that server/traffic lagging is
much more frequent event and such pessimistic behaviour only worsen
this.

> We can't just skip auth and go straight to the roster

Sure we can

> Also, this doesn't account for the first time when they don't have
> the roster synced yet.

This happens a single time on the first launch. I don't remember
software acting reactively on the first start.

> No one said that this was a panacea and was the *only* thing to be
> done to make everyones lives magically better.

And we return to my point: we have really little gain from such
invasive XEP: it re-writes quite large part of the RFC.

> Also, lots of users *do* have a really poor connection.

That's true, a lot. But much more people have fast connection and the
traffic statistics proves that: 80% of traffic is now media
(youtube+instagram+etc). I think we need to cover this use case in the
first place if we want XMPP to survive. But it's ok for me adding the
XEP for some rare use cases, of course. In fact, I would like to see
log-in procedure in a *single* request-response and in this case we
gain a lot, I can even resign myself to significant RFC replacement in
this case.