[Standards] [XEP-0385] Some Questions

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 5 08:16:02 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Philipp Hörist <philipp at hoerist.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A question was raised today on the XSF channel
>
> Do we really have to use a Jingle-FT namespace, hence MUST implement
> XEP-0234?

Just because the XEP uses the Jingle-FT file element for the file metadata
does not mean you have to completely implement XEP-0234. Just this single
element.

> This excludes all clients that dont want or cant implement Jingle for no
> apparent reason

It does not. You can simply just have a SIMS message with only a HTTPS
reference in the sources element.

> I would like to use the XEP for sharing a httpupload link, with some
> metadata.

You can happily do so without implementing the whole Jingle File Transfer
XEP, you simply need to support parsing/serialization of the Jingle FT file
element, which is there simply for the metadata. IMO it does not make much
sense to duplicate this element again in every XEP that uses it.

> regards
> Philipp

Cheers,
Tobi