[Standards] [XEP-0385] Some Questions

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 5 10:32:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:

> > You can happily do so without implementing the whole Jingle File Transfer
> > XEP, you simply need to support parsing/serialization of the Jingle FT
> file
> > element, which is there simply for the metadata. IMO it does not make
> much
> > sense to duplicate this element again in every XEP that uses it.
>
> If that's true I find the wording »Thus a client supporting this XEP
> MUST implement Jingle File Transfer (XEP-0234) [2] and HTTP File
> Upload (XEP-0363) [4].« confusing to say the least.

Yes. This is for improved interoperability, but not just because we use the
Jingle FT file element.

> Also I noticed that thumbnails use BOB as a transfer method. I wonder
> how this goes along with the statelessness premise of the XEP.

According to https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0231.html#exchange :

If the data to be shared is particularly small (e.g., less than 1k), then
> the sender MAY send it directly by including a <data/> element directly in

So, if the SIMS message contains the data element for the thumbnail, the
SIMS message with the thumbnail remains stateless.

> cheers
> Daniel

Cheers,
Tobi