[Standards] XEP-0045: Handling presence type='error' coming from s2s

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Fri Dec 15 00:56:36 UTC 2017

Hi Standards!

I have been trying to find indications on how to handle the following
kind of presence in MUC (and any other valid error):

```
<presence type="error" to="muc at muc-server">
  <error xmlns="jabber:client" type="cancel">
    <undefined-condition xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas" />
  </error>
</presence>
```

This discussion started with a potential issue in prosody[0].  This is
the answer that I get from it when the payload above happens:

```
<presence type="unavailable" to="me at server/poezio" from="muc at muc-server/pep.">
  <status>Kicked: undefined condition</status>
  <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user">
    <status code="307" />
    <item jid="me at server/poezio" affiliation="owner" role="moderator" />
    <status code="110" />
  </x>
</presence>
```

This is displayed as a kick in clients I've tested with, like gajim or
poezio.  Some display nothing (conversations, dino), I suppose it is
handled like any presence, or bug? as this should be a kick if I'm
correct?  Maybe the presence of `<status>` at the top-level and
`<status code='307' />` is confusing?

I would like if anybody could point me in the right direction!

[0]: https://prosody.im/issues/939

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet