[Standards] Easy XMPP

ValdikSS iam at valdikss.org.ru
Sun Feb 5 05:31:45 UTC 2017

On 16.01.2017 20:32, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> But IM companies don't choose XMPP. Whatsapp was initially build on top
> of XMPP but now it's something different. New services like Slack and
> Signal don't use XMPP neither. So seems like XMPP is not that featured
> protocol even though there are "server packages, libraries and support".

You want to know why? For many years XMPP was a protocol not suited for modern mobile devices with unstable network connection. Messages could be easily lost (and you had to ask for receiving acknowledgement yourself in another message), battery consumption was very high.
XMPP also was barely usable on multiple devices. While we had Message Archiving XEP since 2004, Message Carbons XEP since 2010 and Message Archive Management (MAM) since 2012, most desktop clients still lack support of these functions giving you frustration when you want to access previous conversation history that was made on another device.

Everything has changed when Daniel Gultsch created Conversations. That's a modern XMPP client for Android which has support for most current XEPs. Finally we get mobile XMPP client that is usable, reliable, supports history sync and doesn't noticably shorten battery life and is a proper competitor for other proprietary mobile IMs.

Still, the situation with desktop clients is unpleasant. Only one client has Message Archive Management support (Gajim), only one has support for outdated and rarely configured on the server side Message Archiving support (Vacuum IM). Not even mention Gajim UI problems that you can see previous conversation history only in "history" menu, the chat window contains conversation history only of that exact machine. Till now there's no client for OS X with MAM support. Also should note that Gajim lacks MAM support for MUC.

Not even mention SPIM and other mostly-server-side problems.