[Standards] CSI and Carbons state after SM resumption

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Sun Feb 5 19:19:11 UTC 2017

* Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> [2017-02-05 19:41]:
> I've just submitted https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/402

I really really don't understand why 0198 should change any of the
session properties on resumption. This should be as transparent to the
client as any possible.

0198 simply happens when the user is roaming networks, or when their DSL
connection is force-reconnected by an evil ISP. In an ideal world, this
would be handled transparently by the XMPP client library without even
notifying the client application. In a less ideal world, we can at least
make it keep the session state as-is. If we have every XEP define the
post-resumption behavior, we are going straight into madness land. It
would mean that the client needs to special-case resumption with a list
of "crazy" XEPs that just forget their state, and push the according
state over the wire a-new (or that the library needs to cache the
respective state on behalf of the client and perform this black magic).

For a mobile client, most 0198 resumptions happen without the user
interacting with the client at all, and there is really no reason to
assume that the logical CSI state changes beteen "home wifi" and
"mobile"...

Georg